Save the date for Manufacturing Day 2019 on Friday, October 4. Get your company involved as a sponsor or tour host. View more.
The Chamber, in partnership with the education and business community, helped bring the national Manufacturing Day (MFG Day) program to the South Bend Region in 2014. Annually, MFG Day is typically held the first Friday of October. On this day, manufacturers across the country will open their doors to the community to show what really goes on in today’s manufacturing sector and dispel myths that may exist among people who are not involved in manufacturing. In the South Bend Region, students and educators from area high schools learn about real career opportunities, training and resources. The day also supports educators as they work to introduce their students to career possibilities.
MFG Day is an Opportunity to:
- Learn the truth about manufacturing and manufacturing careers
- Inspire a new generation of manufacturers
- Learn what is being made in our community
- Encourage entrepreneurship and inspire creativity
Students and the Community Need to Know:
- Manufacturing is technologically advanced, with ample use of automation, 3-D printing, robots and screen technology
- In the South Bend Region, the annual average salary of manufacturing workers starts at $33-40,000, with the ability to grow into positions that could average $75,000+
- Manufacturers have the highest tenure in the private sector
- 90% of manufacturing workers have medical benefits
- There are many career opportunities within manufacturing, including human resources, accounting, purchasing, logistics and more
- To address this issue, more young people must be inspired to pursue manufacturing careers. Having students participate in MFG Day events is a wonderful opportunity to start this conversation and begin ensuring the future of manufacturing in the U.S.
MFG Day 2019 is October 4, and is being organized locally through a partnership that includes the South Bend Regional Chamber, NTMA Michiana Chapter, Ivy Tech Community College, Purdue Polytechnic South Bend, South Bend Community School Corporation, Career Academy, Mishawaka High School, Penn High School, and New Prairie High School. In 2018, 25 manufacturers and 600-plus students and educators participated. With more manufacturer host sites, we can increase these numbers in 2019!