Street Outreach Drop In Center and Street Outreach Worker
Youth Service Bureau
Company Overview: https://www.ysbsjc.org/aboutus
Website: www.ysbsjc.org" target="_blank">www.ysbsjc.org
2222 Lincolnway West
South Bend, IN 46628
YOUTH SERVICE BUREAU OF ST. JOSEPH COUNTY, INC.
PROGRAM: TEEN AND YOUNG ADULT SERVICES
POSITION: Street Outreach Drop In Center and Street Outreach Worker
DEFINITION: This position will be responsible for a variety of activities directed toward the overall success of street outreach. The core responsibility is to engage youth who may be in unsafe situations and at risk of sexual exploitation. In this role the worker will provide basic need items; provide preliminary assessments and referrals; and provide crisis intervention assisting young people to make safer decisions.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Establish and build relationships between at-risk youth and program outreach staff to help youth leave the streets through school-based and street leveloutreach delivered at school, the Street Outreach Drop-In Center and places where youth congregate.
- Maintain operations for the Drop In Center, coordinate activities to include the use of outside agencies for pertinent presentations, oversee life skill activities, keep track of and order all supplies necessary to keep Drop In Center running
- Responsible for outreach activities at designated sites including provision of written materials, health products, and referral resources
- Provide education and prevention information for young people
- Provide crisis intervention services including referrals for emergency housing and medical assistance
- Provide education and employment referrals
- Responsible for case notes and data tracking insuring that program standards for documentation and record-keeping are followed.
- Maintain adequate supplies of all flyers and other items distributed during outreach
- Participate in periodic evaluations of the program
- Assist in educating the community regarding the mission of street outreach
- Participate in program and agency level staff meetings
- Maintain professional and ethical boundaries between self and youth engaged in the program
- High school diploma required, bachelor degree preferred in social sciences and demonstrated experience in relating to at-risk youth.
STANDARDS: Support agency goals and the operational functioning of the YSB programs as a whole; willing to participate in workshops and other opportunities for professional growth; meet regularly with supervisor; maintain commitment to continual learning and quality performance; carry out job duties according to the time schedule established with supervisor; utilize a strength based, solution focused approach when working with youth, families, staff and members of the community at large.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY: Knowledge of basic sociological, psychological and child development principles; familiar with child abuse and neglect issues and teen/young adult issues, knowledge of area social service agencies; ability to accurately assess situations, ability to work independently and as part of a team and clearly communicate orally and in written form, ability to deal effectively in a sensitive manner with diverse populations.
LICENSE NEEDED: Valid driver’s license
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Street Outreach Program Supervisor
HOURS: 20-24 hours weekly, hours may include evening/weekend
SALARY: $13.00 an hour
This job description is intended to be a general summary of job content. It should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of job duties or job requirements.
The Youth Service Bureau is an equal opportunity employer.
See job description
Compensation: $13.00 per hour
To Apply for this position: