Case Manager and Street Outreach Worker
Youth Service Bureau of St. Joseph County
Company Overview: https://www.ysbsjc.org/aboutus
2222 Lincolnway West
South Bend, IN 46628
YOUTH SERVICE BUREAU OF ST. JOSEPH COUNTY, INC.
PROGRAM: TEEN AND YOUNG ADULT SERVICES
POSITION: Street Outreach Worker and Case Manager
Street Outreach is a key part of the YSB Team. This position is responsible for connecting and engaging with youth who may be reluctant to seek help. The population served are youth who are homeless, high-risk of becoming homeless, at risk of violence, physical abuse, substance abuse, and/or trafficking. This position requires an ability to be present with teens and young adults who have experienced trauma and with expertise, guiding them toward YSB services. Services include: providing for their basic needs; connecting them to safety, conducting preliminary assessments and referrals; planning, facilitation, care coordination and evaluation; providing crisis intervention assisting young people to make safer decisions.
- Being present for youth who have experienced trauma and conduct activities at designated sites in the community. In addition to being available for conversation with youth, staff will provide written materials, health products, and referral information.
- Through conversation and an approachable demeanor: provide prevention information for young people
- Provide immediate referrals for emergency housing and medical assistance
- Provide connections to education and employment referrals
- Responsible for case notes and data tracking insuring that program standards for documentation and record-keeping are followed.
- Maintain adequate supplies of all flyers and other items distributed during outreach
- Participate in periodic evaluations of the program
- Assist in educating the community regarding the mission of street outreach
- Participate in program and agency level staff meetings
- Maintain professional and ethical boundaries between self and youth engaged in the program
- Under the direction of the program supervisor, provide oversight for interns and volunteers
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in social services or equivalent and demonstrated experience in relating to at-risk youth.
STANDARDS: Support agency goals and the operational functioning of the YSB programs as a whole; willing to participate in workshops, quarterly trainings, and other opportunities for professional growth; meet regularly with supervisor; maintain commitment to continual learning and quality performance; carry out job duties according to the time schedule established with supervisor; utilize a strength based, solution focused approach utilizing trauma informed care when working with youth, families, staff and members of the community at large and utilize the concepts on positive youth development.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY: Knowledge of basic sociological, psychological and child development principles; trauma informed care, familiar with child abuse and neglect issues and teen/young adult issues, knowledge of area social service agencies; ability to accurately assess situations, able to organize and implement plans; ability to work independently and as part of a team and clearly communicate orally and in written form, ability to deal effectively in a sensitive manner with diverse populations; able to utilize harm reduction philosophy in problem solving to help clients identify healthier options; carry out job responsibilities within the time schedule established; utilize a strengths based solution focused and trauma informed care approach when working with youth, families, staff members, and members of the community; able to climb two flights of stairs, lift 40 pounds, stand on feet for several hours; walk the equivalent of three city blocks. Must be proficient with Office 365 (Outlook, SharePoint, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and possess basic computer skills.
LICENSE NEEDED: Valid driver’s license
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Street Outreach Program Supervisor
HOURS: 40 hours weekly, hours may include evening/weekend
This position is exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act’s minimum wage and overtime pay requirements.
SALARY: $14.94 per hour
This job description is intended to be a general summary of job content. It should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of job duties or job requirements.
The Youth Service Bureau is an equal opportunity employer.
See job description
Compensation: $14.94 per hour
To Apply for this position:
Please apply to: