Business Development Specialist II (Revolving Loan Fund Specialist)
City of South Bend
Company Overview: South Bend is the economic, educational, media, and cultural hub of a multi-county region spanning the Michigan-Indiana border. It's the fourth-largest city in Indiana with over 100,000 residents. South Bend's flourishing collegiate community and burgeoning tech industry have built upon the foundation of the city's industrial past to create a vibrant present and a promising future. The city's 14 institutions of higher learning, including the internationally renowned University of Notre Dame, infuse South Bend with creative energy in the arts, business, and technology. Combined with recent economic growth, strong neighborhoods, an affordable cost of living, exciting recreational opportunities, and thriving arts venues make South Bend a fabulous place to live, work, and, play. This position is in the Community Investment Division. Reports to Assistant Director of Business Development.
227 W. Jefferson Blvd.
South Bend, IN 46601
The Business Development Specialist II (Revolving Loan Fund (RLF) Specialist) will work closely with the Business Development Specialist II (Credit Analyst) and Executive Assistant in analyzing borrower financial information and credit history to determine repayment ability and commercial loan requests. Assesses credit risk in compliance with federal underwriting guidelines. The ideal candidate will have lending, accounting, reporting, and underwriting experience and performs financial and credit history analysis annually to assess ongoing credit risk and monitors a loan portfolio performance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This list represents the types of duties required by the position. Other duties may be assigned as reasonably expected.
• Analyzes and reports on financial condition and performance of existing and new borrowers in the loan portfolio.
• Tracks ongoing financial performance of various existing borrowers and reports covenant compliance on at least a quarterly basis.
• Oversees preparation, scheduling of, and completion of information packages for the Board and the Audit Monitoring Committee. Conducts quarterly Audit Monitoring Committee meetings.
• Develops and maintains knowledge of EDA RLF program, local economy, market conditions, rates, and competition.
• Reviews on schedule certain loans which are held for follow-up or review.
• Detects potential problem loans at early stages.
• Performs initial review of special attention credits and creates a special attention report for Credit Analyst follow-up.
• Detects adverse trends in credit quality, underwriting standards and loan monitoring.
• Measures the appropriateness of and adherence to credit policies and procedures.
• Prepares annual portfolio memos identifying risks and summarizing findings.
• Prepares semiannual and annual reports required by EDA
• Performs process reviews as directed.
• Assists with training and mentoring of less experienced loan review personnel.
• Attends and completes training classes and courses, primarily out of town.
• Develops knowledge and expertise in the area of regulatory issues especially in relation to the lending function and complies with the federal requirements.
NON-ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Assumes additional responsibilities as directed or as delegated.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree required; concentrations in Accounting, Finance or Business preferred.
• Five (5) years experience preferred or equivalent experience in a related field preferred.
• Prior lending and/or credit experience preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES PREFERRED
• Strong familiarity with loan underwriting, collateral evaluation, lien perfection, and documentation requirements relating to small business and RLF lending.
• Strong analytical, problem solving and interpersonal skills.
• High attention to detail.
• Self-directed; highly motivated.
• Strong work ethic with the ability to work on one or more tasks efficiently and effectively with minimal supervision.
• Ability to work independently and manage time well.
• Ability to manage multiple responsibilities.
• Must have strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel essential.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Driver's License required.
Desktop and laptop computer; telephone, fax machine, copier, scanner, Adobe Software Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, and other equipment typically found in an office environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and walk, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use his/her fingers, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required in this job include vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work is performed in a typical office environment, as the employee is required to sit for prolonged periods using a computer keyboard, mouse and monitor. Work may be performed indoors and outdoors. Conditions indoors will be in a temperature-controlled environment. The entire office is smoke free. While working outdoors, the employee may be exposed to changing weather conditions. Occasional work outside of standard office hours may be required. There is a potential for exposure to graphic and/or disturbing information and imagery.
Pre-employment drug screen
Compensation: $55,000 - $65,000/yr.
To Apply for this position:
To apply, visit the City of South Bend's employment page: https://southbendin.gov/employment/