City of South Bend
Company Overview: South Bend is the economic, educational, media, and cultural hub of a multi-county region spanning the Michigan-Indiana border. Itís the fourth-largest city in Indiana with over 100,000 residents. South Bend's flourishing collegiate community and burgeoning tech industry have built upon the foundation of the city's industrial past to create a vibrant present and a promising future. The cityís 14 institutions of higher learning, including the internationally renowned University of Notre Dame, infuse South Bend with creative energy in the arts, business, and technology. Combined with recent economic growth, strong neighborhoods, an affordable cost of living, exciting recreational opportunities, and thriving arts venues make South Bend a fabulous place to live, work, and, play.
Industry: Local Government
Website: https://southbendin.gov" target="_blank">https://southbendin.gov
227 W. Jefferson Blvd.
South Bend, IN 46601
Responsible for the safe crossing of elementary school age children at designated intersections or crossing points before school and after school or as directed by Program Supervisor.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This list represents the types of duties required by the position. Other duties may be assigned as reasonably expected.
• This person will work all days when schools are in session and assist children in crossing streets at assigned locations.
• Drive to various locations as directed to control student crossings.
• Keep a daily count of children crossing at corner/intersections.
• Act in a firm, but courteous and polite manner to children, as well as passing motorists.
• Report any suspicious activity or disregard for crossing by motorists or passersby to supervisor.
• Coordinate work schedule with supervisor.
• Participate in required Police Department training.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
• Minimal education required.
• Ability to speak Spanish a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES PREFERRED
• Must be able to deal effectively with children and general public.
• Ability to walk and raise a ten (10) pound sign and light are necessary to perform duties.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Driver’s License, or ability to obtain one, required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to sit, walk, bend, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands or fingers to handle or feel objects, tools or controls, disassemble objects, manipulate small items accurately over an extended period of time, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
Work is done in an outdoor environment. Inclement weather is often encountered; cold, ice, snow, rain and darkness are often present during work periods.
7:00 am-8:15 am and 2:00-2:45 pm, Monday-Friday. Schedule may vary based on school schedules and departmental need.
To Apply for this position:
Apply directly to: https://www.appone.com/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=2231406 or visit https://southbendin.gov/employment to view all City opportunities.