2019 State Legislative Priorities
Interlocal/Regional Development & Investments
Support a statewide approach that encourages interlocal collaboration, allows catalytic investments in regional priorities, and creates a fiscal framework to fund essential services such as public safety and infrastructure.
- Support the adoption of the Regional Development Tax Credit (RDTC). The RDTC would give every community a tool to promote the revitalization and redevelopment of distressed properties, enhancing quality of place. Get more facts on Regional Development Tax Credits.
- Promote regional cooperation, talent retention and attraction, and strategic quality of life investments through the IEDC’s Regional Cities Initiative (RCI) with a direct appropriation of $150 million.
- Create more flexibility in the Regional Cities Initiative to allow for more regions to incentivize quality-of-place projects and build on regional collaboration.
- Increase funding for technical assistance and planning grants for regional development authorities.
- Stellar Communities: Support continued investment and rural communities and small towns across Indiana by strengthening and expanding the Indiana Stellar Communities program.
- Secure and maintain flexibility of local incentives for economic and community development efforts such as Tax Increment Financing (TIF), to encourage new growth and respond to redevelopment opportunities.
- Strengthen the federal Historic Preservation Tax Credits and New Markets Tax Credits.
- Shovel-Ready Redevelopment: Support shovel-ready community redevelopment efforts through the creation of a statewide grant program to fund the demolition of blighted commercial properties.
State & Local Economic Development
- Support State funding to assist with the expansion of air service and air cargo at the South Bend International Airport.
- Continue support of funding for improvements to U.S. 31 to make it a limited-access highway from South Bend to Indianapolis.
- Support increased accessibility to broadband.
- Convention, Sports and Tourism: Continue the momentum of the South Bend Region’s convention and sporting industries by expanding current funding mechanisms. Provide for the sustainable operations of a St. Joseph County Capital Improvement Board.
- Increase funding the state Skills Enhancement Fund to assist companies in addressing 21st Century skills gap.
Entrepreneurship & Innovation Investments
Support policies that can improve the state’s capital environment and nurture innovative activity through:
- Maintain permanence of the state’s Research and Development, Hoosier Business Investment, and Venture Capital Investment tax credit programs.
- Increase funding for the 21st Century Research and Technology Fund to support industry driven initiatives.
- Maximize immediate value of state EDGE and VCI tax credit by allowing recipients to transfer credits for cash value.
- Enhancing flexibility for public investment in venture capital funds that invest in Indiana companies.
- Enhancing funding to support more university-sponsored grant programs and seed funding for applied research and commercialization
Transportation Infrastructure, Infrastructure & Environment
Local Roads and Streets: Ensure adequate funding for local roads and streets, while maintaining equitable funding for urban and suburban areas by accurately accounting for lane miles in the infrastructure funding formula.
Enacting “bias crime” penalties for criminal offenses where it can be proven that the victim or target is intentionally selected because of personal characteristics enumerated by law.
- Redistricting Reform: Support non-partisan redistricting reform that increases and encourages competition of ideas, decreases polarization in legislative and congressional districts, accurately reflects historic trends in statewide elections and maintains communities of interest and adheres to local political boundaries
- Statewide: Continue efforts to streamline overlapping government functions through statewide implementation of recommendations made by the Indiana Commission on Local Government Reform to increase accountability, transparency and effectiveness of local governments
- Government Innovation: Continue support of the state’s Management & Performance Hub to foster a more transparent, innovative state government, and encourage local governments to create Offices of Innovation to drive policies that similarly inspire open data, transparency, and efficiencies that can result in greater economic activity and workforce development.